Boston Children's Museum
The museum features more than 20 permanent exhibits. Kids can climb the 3-story maze structure; blow bubbles in the John Hancock Science Playground; play with kid-sized tools and equipment in the Construction Zone; create artwork in the Art Studio; learn about dinosaurs in Explore-a-Saurus; and tour an authentic Japanese house. There’s also an area designed specifically for kids aged 3 and under. The museum also has a collection of more than 50,000 items, some of which are displayed in rotating exhibits from time to time.
Things to know before you go
- Admission to the museum is included in the Go Boston Pass.
- Visitors can bring their own food into the museum. Food and drinks are not allowed in the exhibit areas.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible, and wheelchairs can be borrowed for free.
How to get there
The museum is located along Fort Point Channel. Paid parking lots are available nearby, some of which offer discounts with validation by the museum. The museum is also easily accessible by public transportation. Take the Silver Line to Courthouse Station, or the Red Line to South Station. The museum is also accessible by the number 7 bus, the Old Town Trolley, and water taxi.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, with extended hours on Fridays. Holiday closures include Thanksgiving (the last Thursday in November) and Christmas (December 25), with limited hours on Thanksgiving Eve (the night before Thanksgiving), Christmas Eve (December 24), New Year’s Eve (December 31), and New Year’s Day (January 1). Discounted admission is offered on Friday nights, and for the last hour of business during the rest of the week.
Family-Friendly Museums in Boston
Boston is home to numerous family-friendly museums that kids enjoy. Top choices include the Museum of Science, LEGOLAND® Discovery Center, Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, Harvard Museum of Natural History, the MIT Museum, and the USS Constitution Museum.
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Montreal
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Quebec
- Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- Rowes Wharf
- Simons IMAX Theatre at New England Aquarium
- New England Aquarium
- Old South Meeting House
- Boston Old State House
- Boston Massacre Site
- Boston Chinatown
- Faneuil Hall Marketplace
- Quincy Market
- Dreamland Wax Museum
- Hard Rock Café Boston
- Granary Burying Ground