Bute Park and Arboretum
Bute Park runs alongside the River Taff and covers over 130 acres. The park is named for the 3rd Marquess of Bute whose family once owned Cardiff Castle. Stroll along the tree-lined avenues to find the Victorian-style flower gardens and the arboretum—home to a variety of different tree species. And make sure you explore Castle Green—landscaped by the famous 18th-century garden designer Capability Brown. The castle itself is, of course, nearby, so visitors can easily combine a visit to both places.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There are cafes and restrooms in the park.
- Most of the paths are wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Check out the ruins of the Blackfriars Priory within the park—built in the 1200s, it’s one of the oldest religious sites in Wales.
- Kids will love the Animal Wall with stone animals climbing over the wall’s surface. It was designed in the 19th century.
How to Get There
Bute Park is in the center of Cardiff and extends northwest of the castle. Cardiff Central, Queen Street and Cathays stations are all within walking distance. Alternatively you can reach the park by taxi, car, or public bus—the 132 bus stops at the park.
When to Get There
With plantings designed to follow the seasons—especially in the arboretum, the park is a pleasant place to walk all year round, although the weather will be warmer (and usually drier!) in the summer. The park hosts a number of events during the year including the Royal Horticultural Society Flower Show and annual bonfire for Guy Fawkes Night.
Explore Cardiff Castle With its origins in Roman times, Cardiff Castle offers a fascinating look at the history of the city. The castle you see today was built in Norman times in the classic Motte and Bailey design, complemented by the construction of a Victorian gothic mansion in the 19th century by the wealthy Bute family. Tour the opulent interiors designed for the family and marvel at the lavish decorations commissioned by the 3rd Marquess—in his day considered to be the richest man in the world.
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in North West England