Cardiff City Hall (Neuadd y Ddinas)
In the center of Cardiff, next to Bute Park, Cardiff Castle and the National Museum, Cardiff City Hall was opened in 1906. Made of Portland stone and surrounded by green lawns, fountains, and flowerbeds and topped with a statue of a Welsh Dragon, it’s a fittingly grand building for the capital of Wales. It’s a popular stop for visitors touring the city as part of a sightseeing bus tour.
Inside, you’ll find an impressive collection of artworks, including the celebrated painting Winter by Joseph Farquharson. The ornate Edwardian style interior complements the paintings, with marble columns and gilded chandeliers.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A booklet providing information on the art collection is available free of charge from the reception desk.
- Some rooms may be closed for private functions.
- Cardiff City Hall is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Cardiff City Hall is located in the center of the city. It’s easy to walk here—or join a hop-on-hop-off bus tour which stops just outside. Cardiff Central station is just a few minutes’ walk away, and Cardiff Airport is 12 miles outside the city.
When to Get There
The City Hall is open during regular business hours, and for various special events and private functions throughout the year. The gardens are especially enjoyable in the spring and summer when the flowers are in bloom.
Visit Mermaid Quay Home to the impressive Millennium Centre, shops, restaurants, and popular attractions like the Doctor Who Experience, Cardiff’s waterfront Mermaid Quay has plenty to keep both adults and children entertained. Catch a performance of the Welsh National Opera, enjoy a romantic meal, or head out for a stroll along the Cardiff Bay Barrage which links Cardiff city with Penarth via a 600-yard long embankment.
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in North West England