Three days in Guangzhou means you can explore the city’s highlights—both old and new—experience the culture, sample local cuisine, and take a day trip out of town. Here are some ideas on how to spend 72 hours in Guangzhou.
Divided between the British and French in 1859, Shamian Island—technically a manmade island—is a tranquil oasis of historical architecture today. Composed of just three east-west avenues and five north-south streets, the island may be small, but it packs a surfeit of lovely landmarks. Local highlights include Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel, neoclassical ex-consulate buildings, and colonial mansions.
Private sightseeing and history-themed tours provide an accessible way to wander the island’s pretty avenues and learn more about its history. For the time-pressed, Shamian can even be glimpsed from the perch of a Pearl River cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Much of the island is pedestrianized, and it’s small enough that you can easily make a couple of loops on foot.
- During your island visit, head into the historical White Swan Hotel: its lobby features a koi pond, waterfall, and multiple tiers of garden greenery.
- The island is renowned for its grand banyan trees, some of which are hundreds of years old; be sure to bring your camera along to capture the unique scenery.
How to Get There
Shamian Island is located just a quick stroll from the Huangsha Metro Station, and is also served by the Huangsha Ferry Terminal. Buses operate on the nearby Inner Ring Road, though not on the island itself: given its petite dimensions, it’s best explored on foot.
When to Get There
Shamian Island is always open to visitors, though it’s best to visit during good-weather days: its Victorian boulevards look particularly appealing when bright and sun-dappled.
Bronze Statues During your next walking tour of Shamian Island, keep your eyes peeled: the island is famously dotted with bronze sculptures that depict charming moments from everyday life, ranging from a girl mailing a letter to women from different eras in history walking side by side.
- Things to do in Southern China
- Things to do in Shenzhen
- Things to do in Macau SAR
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Nanning
- Things to do in Xiamen
- Things to do in Nanchang
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Halong Bay
- Things to do in Zhangjiajie
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Chen Clan Academy (Chen Jia Ci)
- Temple of the Five Immortals (Wuxian Guan)
- Huaisheng Mosque
- Bright Filial Piety Temple (Guangxiao Si)
- Temple of the Six Banyan Trees (Liurong Si)
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall (Sun Zhongshan Ji Nian Tang)
- Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King
- Yuexiu Park (Yuexiu Gongyuan)
- Guangzhou Museum
- Guangdong Museum of Art (GDMoA)
- Canton Tower
- Pearl River (Zhujiang)
- White Cloud Mountain (Baiyun Shan)
- Chimelong Paradise
- Chimelong Water Park