With two days in Hoi An, you can discover Hoi An Ancient Town and explore some beyond city limits. Plan carefully and you can venture into the countryside, take a cooking class, and delve deeper in Vietnamese culture. Here’s how to enjoy two days in Hoi An.
Thu Bon River
Hoi An, Vietnam
One of the most popular ways to experience the Thu Bon River in Hoi An is on a 1- or 2-hour boat ride. Head out on a bamboo boat with a fisherman to learn local fishing techniques, or opt for a short cruise in a modern boat to Cua Dai Beach. If you’re a thrill seeker, spinning madly on a basket boat is a must-try experience.
Things to Know Before You Go
Walking along the banks of the Thu Bon River reveals the majority of Hoi An attractions.
Be aware of your belongings as the riverside is nearly always very crowded.
It’s a good idea to visit the Ancient Town section of the river by both day and night for two different perspectives.
Throughout the day, locals offer rides in the wooden rowboats that line the riverbanks.
How to Get There
The most famous section of the Thu Bon River is undoubtedly the one that runs through Hoi An Ancient Town. However, lesser-known parts of the river reveal local life in Vietnam and lead all the way to Ngoc Linh Mountain, which is shrouded by fragrant cinnamon forest.
When to Get There
By traditional sampan or luxury yacht, the most popular time for a Thu Bon River cruise is sunset. Or, if you’d like to see life on the river at its most active, come at 7am or 4:30pm to experience it at rush hour.
Hoi An Full Moon Lantern Festival
Although Hoi An looks postcard-pretty every evening, the Ancient Town is at its most spectacular during the monthly Lantern Festival, when local release illuminated paper lanterns into the river to promote good health and fortune. It’s a must-see that’s worth tweaking your Vietnam itinerary to catch.
- Things to do in Central Vietnam
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in Da Nang
- Things to do in Hue
- Things to do in Sanya
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Thanh Ha Terracotta Park
- Tra Nhieu Fishing Village
- Hoi An Silk Village (Lang Lua Hoi An)
- Phung Hung Ancient House
- Japanese Covered Bridge (Chua Cau)
- Cantonese Assembly Hall (Hoi Quan Quang Dong)
- Museum of Sa Huynh Culture
- Tan Ky Old House
- Kim Bong (Carpentry Village)
- Museum of Trade Ceramics
- Hoi An Handicraft Workshop
- Hoi An Museum (Bao Tang Hoi An)
- Phuc Kien Assembly Hall (Fujian Assembly Hall)
- Hoi An Central Market (Cho Hoi An)
- Quan Cong Temple