Whether you’re making a pit stop in the Highlands’ capital before heading out on a hiking expedition or spending a leisurely weekend in the UK’s northernmost city, Inverness is the perfect gateway to the Scottish Highlands. Here are a few ideas for spending 3 days in the city.
Apr–Sept: 9:30am–5:30pm; Oct–Mar: 10am–4pm daily
Inverness Terrace, Inverness, Inverness-shire, IV2 7TD
Fort George is located 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Inverness, or about a 20-minute drive away. There is parking at the site. Bus line 15 departs from the city and takes you to the fort in 30 minutes. Occasionally adverse weather conditions will close the fort at short notice.
The fort is open daily from 9:30am to 5:30pm, April through September. It is open daily from 10am to 4pm, October through March. Adult admission is £8.50; senior & student admission is £6.40; and admission for children ages 5–15 is £5.10. Visitors enter free with Historic Scotland Explorer Pass.
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in North West England