Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
Merkinch Local Nature Reserve is a bit of a hidden treasure, located only about a mile (2 km) outside of Inverness along the shore of Beauly Firth. As the only nature reserve in the highlands, it is the perfect area to observe the diverse wildlife of this sparsely populated region and enjoy a day outdoors. There is a visitor center, once used as a ferry ticket office, where you can delve into small exhibitions and also pick up maps or hire a guide for a walk around the area. Animal spotters will also find a logbook detailing the latest wildlife sightings and can then set out to spot the highlands' biodiversity themselves.
Looking over the Beauly Firth shoreline, you can watch steel blue barn swallows catching insects, buzzards sitting tall atop tree branches, pheasants with bright gold and brown plumage, shy curlews probing the waters for crabs with their extremely long curved beaks and the big grey herons stalking their prey. If you're lucky, you can even see bottlenose dolphins coming up for air, common seals and the more active European otters. They all live in and around tidal pools and both salt and freshwater marshes, some of which are partially connected to the sea.
What are Merkinch Local Nature Reserve hours of operation?
Should I book Merkinch Local Nature Reserve tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Merkinch Local Nature Reserve 2020?
What's the best way to experience Merkinch Local Nature Reserve?
- Inverness Bike Tour a 2 hours guided bike tour around the Waterways of Inverness
- City Sightseeing Inverness Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
Things to do near Inverness
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Londonderry
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England