Since its erection in 1943, the Howrah Bridge has become a cultural icon in Kolkata and West Bengal. It has made appearances in a variety of Bengali and Bollywood films and even served as a setting and inspiration for the 1958 film Howrah Bridge by director Shakti Samanta. While you can walk and drive across the bridge, some visitors prefer to see it from the Hooghly River, either from a ferry or on an organized cruise.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Howrah Bridge is a must-visit for those interested in engineering.
- The flow of pedestrian traffic tends to move from Howrah towards Kolkata in the morning and in the opposite direction toward the end of the day.
- Ferries are available right next to the bridge, departing from the Armenian Ferry Ghat on the Kolkata side and the Howrah Station Ferry Ghat on the Howrah side.
How to Get There
The Howrah Bridge crosses the Hooghly River and is one of the main thoroughfares connecting Howrah with Kolkata proper. As such, it's easy to get to using public transportation: the Barra Bazar railway station stops on the eastern (Kolkata) side of the bridge, while the Howrah station is right at the base of the western part of the bridge.
When to Get There
The Howrah Bridge never shuts, but it can get crowded during morning and evening rush hours. Visit the bridge in the early morning to see early-rising residents washing up along the ghats at the base of the bridge or take a walk at sunset to take in beautiful views of the city. At night, the bridge is illuminated, making for great photos from shore.
The Mullik Ghat Flower Market Under the eastern side of the bridge, you’ll find the colorful and chaotic Mullik Ghat Flower Market, a great place to people-watch while sipping on tea. It's a great place to take photos or simply breathe in the aromas of flowers, and early-morning tours are available for those willing to wake up at the crack of dawn.
- Things to do in West Bengal
- Things to do in Dhaka
- Things to do in Bhubaneswar
- Things to do in Paro
- Things to do in Thimphu
- Things to do in Varanasi
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Pokhara
- Things to do in Lhasa
- Things to do in Odisha
- Things to do in Tibet
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Nakhoda Mosque (Nakhoda Masjid)
- St. John’s Church
- Eden Gardens
- Marble Palace
- Tagore's House (Jorasanko Thakur Bari)
- College Street
- Indian Museum
- Mother House of the Missionaries of Charity
- Pareshnath Jain Temple (Parasnath Jain Temple)
- Victoria Memorial Hall
- MP Birla Planetarium
- St Paul's Cathedral
- Chowringhee (Chourangi)
- Kalighat Kali Temple