From the imposing white façade of the Belsfield Hotel to the busy shops in the town center, much of Bowness-on-Windermere reflects its rise to prominence during the Victorian era. It was then that the town’s position on Windermere first made it a magnet for visitors, transforming it from a sleepy village to the hugely popular destination it is today.
Many use Bowness as a base for further travels throughout the Lake District, but the town itself is worth exploring. Visit World of Beatrix Potter, dedicated to the life and work of the renowned children’s author, the 15th century St Martin’s Church and Blackwell, an outstanding example of Arts and Crafts architecture.
The railway station in the adjoining town of Windermere is one of the main transport hubs of the area. Bowness-on-Windermere is a starting point for all manner of nautical expeditions on Windermere; take a steamship or hire your own rowing boat or motorboat.
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Bowness-on-Windermere
No results found!
Things to do near Lake District
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England