A holiday in England wouldn’t be complete without visiting a haunted and historic castle. Cue Muncaster Castle and Gardens, a lavish 800-year-old property that is still lived in by members of the Pennington family, owners of the estate since the Middle Ages. Located in the idyllic Western Lake District and overlooking the Esk River, the castle was constructed in 1208 — it could, however, be much older than that; it is suspected that the castle was built over foundations dating back to the Roman era.
Because of its key location along the Scottish–English border, Muncaster Castle features a fine example of a 14th-century peel tower, which was endemic to the area and intended as a watch tower where signal fires could be lit by the garrison to warn of approaching danger. Once described as “a gateway to paradise” by John Ruskin, the castle’s Terrace Walk features verdant flora and a meadow maze.
One of the main particularities of the castle, outside its exceptional architectural heritage, is the presence of a ghost who goes by the name of Tom Fool, court jester. Rarely seen but frequently sensed, his playful spirit has been playing tricks on Tapestry Room visitors for well over four centuries.
Tours and tickets to Experience Muncaster Castle
What are Muncaster Castle hours of operation?
Should I book Muncaster Castle tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Muncaster Castle 2021?
What's the best way to experience Muncaster Castle ?
- 4-Day Lake District Tour including two Full Day Tours
- 4 Day Experience the Lake District & Hadrian's Wall Tour from Manchester
- 3 Day Lake District Tour including Central & Western Lakes
- 5 Day Best of the Lake District Experience Tour
Things to do near Lake District
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England