Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
Dive into Penang’s cultural melting pot as you explore the museum’s permanent and temporary exhibitions. Learn about key events in the island’s history, admire old faded photos of Penang through the years, and follow the events of the 1867 riots that almost caused a civil war. Highlights include a collection of Baba Nyonya porcelain, old Malay weaponry, a series of oil paintings by Captain Robert Smith, and ancient jewelry. Art lovers can also check out the temporary exhibitions which feature works by local artists.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Penang State Museum is currently undergoing restoration works. It is expected to reopen in 2020.
- There is a small admission fee to visit the museum.
- Some parts of the museum are accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The museum is located at the junction of Lebuh Farquhar and Lebuh Light in Georgetown. It’s possible to walk there from nearby sights such as the Sri Mahamariamman Temple—less than a 10-minute walk. Alternatively, taxis will drop you off right outside.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily except Fridays.
Museums of Penang Penang has many museums covering a surprising variety of subjects. Explore old war tunnels and bunkers at the Penang War Museum; learn about Peranakan culture at the Pinang Peranakan Mansion; or admire vintage photographic equipment at the Camera Museum. Instagram enthusiasts and kids will love the wacky Wonderfood Museum, while the Ghost Museum, Penang 3D Trick Art Museum, and the Upside Down Museum are also great fun.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- George Town (Penang Georgetown)
- Fort Cornwallis
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Upside Down Museum
- Little India
- Penang House of Music
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)