Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel offers a surreal journey from outer space into the core of the Earth and back. Lights and visuals are projected onto the walls, overlayed with a somewhat ominous narrated soundtrack, and flailing blow-up dolls complete the bizarre experience. It’s more expensive than taking the metro, ferry, or even a taxi, so the tunnel should be regarded as a unique experience instead of a means of transport.
Combine a trip through the Bund Sightseeing Tunnel with a tour that also takes in other attractions such as the Bund and Jin Mao Tower. The tunnel is also included as part of hop-on hop-off bus tours, which allow you to visit a number of attractions at your leisure.
Things to Know Before You Go
This is a family-friendly activity, but small children might find the narration creepy.
The sightseeing tunnel is wheelchair accessible.
The use of strobe lighting and fast, flashing lights could have a negative effect on some people, including the risk of seizures.
How to Get There
Entrances to the tunnel are located in the north of Chenyi Square in Puxi and south of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Pudong. By metro, take line 2 to Lujiazui Station in Pudong. Or take bus 37, 147, or 307 and get off at the Beijing East Road junction of Zhongshan East Road.
When to Get There
The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel is open year-round, with slightly shorter hours from November to April. The tunnel has the capacity for up to 5,000 passengers in an hour and is rarely crowded, so any time is a good time to visit.
For a cheaper and more scenic alternative, take the ferry across the river, perhaps after taking the tunnel one way. Nearly 20 ferry lines cross the Huangpu River, but the best for Bund and Lujiazui sightseeing is the Dongjin Line, which you can catch at the southern end of the Bund in Puxi or at Dongchang Ferry Pier in Pudong. Ferries run every 15 to 20 minutes and take around five minutes to cross the river.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)