Full of historic buildings that have been restored, there’s much to see on the half-mile-long (0.8 kilometer) Duolun Road. Top attractions include the Duolun Museum of Modern Art, the League of Leftist Writers Museum, Hong De Temple (Great Virtue Christian Church), and the 60-foot-tall (18.5-meter-tall) Xi Shi Zhong Lou bell tower. Browse the many galleries and shops, then take a break at the Old Film Café, which plays old Chinese movies from the 1920s and ‘30s.
It’s best to experience Duolun Road on foot or opt for a bike tour that includes other top Shanghai attractions such as the Bund, Yuyuan Garden, and Nanjing Road.
Things to Know Before You Go
Duolun Road isn’t a top tourist attraction, but it will appeal to those with an interest in Chinese architecture, art, and literature.
Duolun Road itself is free to visit, but some of the attractions, including museums, charge an entrance fee.
This is a great place to pick up antiques, books, art, and Mao-related memorabilia.
How to Get There
Duolun Road is located in the Hongkou District. By metro, take Line 3 to Dongbaoxing Road Station (Exit 1) and walk northwest, or Line 4 or Line 10 to Hailun Road Station (Exit 5) and walk west. By bus, take bus nos. 18, 21, 52, 318, or 939 and get off at Luxun Gongyuan (Luxun Park) Station.
When to Get There
Duolun Road is all day, every day. Both the Duolun Museum of Modern Art and the League of Left Wing Writers museum are closed on Mondays; if you’re interested in these museums, time their visit accordingly.
Famous Writers of Duolun Road
In the 1930s, Duolun Road was home to a number of famous Chinese writers, including Guo Moruo, Mao Dun, Ding Lin, and Lu Xu, many of whom were part of the League of Leftist Writers. You can find out more about them and their works at the League of Leftist Writers Museum; there are also life-size bronze statues of a number of these writers along Duolun Road.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum (Shanghai Youtai Nanmin Jinianguan)
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Moganshan Road (Moganshan Lu)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Jin Mao Tower