Shanghai French Concession
The former French Concession is one of the most popular areas in Shanghai, and many guided walking, bike, and coach tours feature a stop here, along with other top city attractions such as the Bund, Yuyuan Garden, and the Jade Buddha Temple. Walking tours can feature hidden gems and well-known highlights such as Xintiandi and Tianzifang or be tailored to specific interests, such as history, architecture, art, food, or nightlife. Combine a visit here with a Huangpu River cruise, an acrobatic show, or a cooking class for a more comprehensive experience.
Recent reviews from experiences in Shanghai
Things to Know Before You Go
The French Concession is a must for first-time visitors to Shanghai.
Wear comfortable shoes and plan to do a fair bit of walking.
It’s worth visiting during the day for the museums, galleries, and boutiques, and then again after dark for the buzzing nightlife.
How to Get There
The French Concession is located in Puxi and covers the Luwan and Xihui districts. A number of metro lines have stops in the area, including lines 1, 2, 7, 9, 10, and 11. Many buses also stop in the area, including lines 42, 167, 320, 911, 920, and 926.
When to Get There
The French Concession can be visited at any time. Different attractions have different opening hours, so it’s worth checking ahead to help plan your visit. Depending on your interests, you can spend anywhere from an hour to several days here.
Shanghai French Concession Highlights
Xintiandi and Tianzifang are popular shopping and entertainment areas that also highlight the traditional Shikumen-style buildings of Shanghai. You can find the former residences of Dr. Sun Yat-sen, Premier Zhou Enlai, and Soong Ching Ling here. Museums include the Shanghai Arts and Crafts Museum, the Shikumen Open House Museum, the Propaganda Poster Arts Center, and the Site of the First National Congress of CPC. Fuxing Park, a European-style park popular with locals, features a number of restaurants, bars, and clubs throughout.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Xin Tian Di
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Grand Theatre (Shanghai Da Juyuan)
- Former Residence of Sun Yat-sen
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Acrobatics Shows in Shanghai
- Eating in Shanghai
- Best Day Trips from Shanghai
- 3 Days in Shanghai
- Tea-Tasting Tours
- Family-Friendly Tours
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Spring
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Fall
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Winter
- First-Timers Guide to Shanghai
- Things to Do in Shanghai This Summer
- How to Get Around in Shanghai