Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
Set in the heart of town, opposite the Bund in Lujiazui, the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is so easy to reach and navigate that most travelers visit independently. Families will want to note that tickets are priced by height; children under 3 feet 3 inches (1 meter) go free, children between 3 feet 3 inches and 4 feet 7 inches (1 to 1.4 meters) pay a reduced rate, and everyone taller than pays adult rates.
Things to Know Before You Go
A must-do for families with younger children, the aquarium has enough unusual marine life to keep even solo adults entertained. Regions covered extend from the Amazon to the Antarctic.
At 509 feet (155 meters) long, the submarine viewing tunnel at the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is one of the longest in the world.
There’s more than just fish to the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium; aquatic ecosystems on display include mangroves and coral.
How to Get There
In a nation that can be hard to navigate, the Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is blissfully easy to reach. It’s across the river from the Bund in Lujiazui, next to the spaceship-style skyscraper known as the Oriental Pearl Tower. If you’re traveling by Shanghai’s efficient metro system, Lujiazui is on Line 2.
When to Get There
The Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is open from morning till early evening seven days a week, with the exception of China’s peak seasons when operating hours are extended. If possible, try to avoid visiting during these times, as crowds can swell to unpleasant levels. If you’re with kids, time your visit to one of the twice-daily feeding sessions for seals, penguins, and sharks.
China’s Weird and Wonderful Marine Life
Shanghai Ocean Aquarium created the world’s first exhibition devoted to weird and wonderful aquatic creatures from the Yangtze River. In addition to the enormous Chinese sturgeon, species here include the Yangtze alligator, the Chinese water dragon, and the giant salamander. Displays also highlight the ecology of the Yangtze river valley.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Jin Mao Tower
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Shanghai World Financial Center (SWFC)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
- Shanghai Jewish Refugees Museum (Shanghai Youtai Nanmin Jinianguan)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)