Shanghai Old City (Nanshi)
Most visitors to the old city head for Old Street and Yuyuan Garden, a classical garden also known for its bazaar with antiques and tea shops. The streets and alleys radiating out from this center teem with restaurants, curiosity shops, street food vendors, and temples, including the worthwhile Temple of the Town God.
Many Shanghai tours include a stop in Shanghai Old City, as well as the Bund and the Shanghai Museum. You might choose to explore Nanshi on a leisurely private walking tour, or combine a sightseeing tour that includes Nanshi with lunch and a river cruise.
Recent reviews from experiences in Shanghai
Things to Know Before You Go
Shanghai Old City is a must-see for first-time visitors, history buffs, and bargain hunters.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
If you’re visiting independently, give yourself two to four hours to explore the area.
How to Get There
Shanghai Old City is located southwest of the Bund. The easiest way to get to the neighborhood is to take the subway, line 10 to Yuyuan Garden or line 8 to Dashijie.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Shanghai Old City is on a weekday morning. Weekends tend to be crowded with tourists and shoppers, so plan to arrive early if you’re visiting on a Saturday or Sunday. Garden enthusiasts should aim to visit in early spring, when the trees are budding and the gardens are perhaps at their loveliest.
What to Eat in Nanshi
There are several famous Chinese foods associated with the Old City area, most notably soup dumplings, or xiaolongbao. Be prepared to line up for this street food favorite. After getting your fill, spend some time sipping tea at Huxinting, one of China’s oldest and most famous tea houses, just outside Yuyuan Garden.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Yuyuan Garden (Yu Garden)
- Shanghai City God Temple (Chenghuang Miao)
- Nanjing Road (Nanjing Lu)
- Fairmont Peace Hotel (Heping Fandian)
- Bund Sightseeing Tunnel
- Shanghai Tower (Shanghai Zhongxin Dasha)
- Shanghai Museum (Shanghai Bowuguan)
- Oriental Pearl Tower (Dongfang Mingzhu Ta)
- Shanghai History Museum (Shanghai Lishi Bowuguan)
- Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall (Shanghai Chengshi Guihua Zhanshi Guan)
- Jin Mao Tower
- Shanghai Ocean Aquarium (SOA)
- Xin Tian Di
- Shikumen Open House Museum (Wulixiang Shikumen Bowuguan)
- People’s Square (Renmin Guangchang)