Wuzhen Water Town
There’s plenty to see and do on a visit to Wuzhen Water Town, and it’s best enjoyed as a full day tour. A trip will typically include a ride on a traditional wooden boat, plus a visit to East Street, where many of the town’s attractions are based, such as the Hundred Bed Museum, the Sanbai Wine Workshop, and the Hongyuan Thai dye house. For visitors staying in nearby Hangzhou, evening tours to Wuzhen showcase the water town at its most atmospheric, when its ancient alleys and canals are illuminated in a warm glow.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Wuzhen is one of the most scenic and accessible water towns on the Grand Canal.
- It takes about two hours to reach Wuzhen from Shanghai, depending on traffic.
- Day trips typically last upwards of eight hours.
How to Get There
The easiest way to reach Wuzhen is on a guided day trip from Shanghai or Hangzhou. If you’re visiting independently, take the bullet train from Shanghai Hongqiao to Tongxiang, then take a taxi.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Wuzhen is between March and May, when the weather is cool and crowds thinner. Avoid visiting on Chinese national holidays, when the town is exceptionally busy with domestic tourists. If you don’t mind bundling up, winter is also a good time to visit.
If you have time during your trip to Wuzhen, be sure to take in a shadow puppetry show, a traditional art form where performers project shadows of handmade figures on a screen to tell stories from Chinese folklore.
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Suzhou
- Things to do in Hangzhou
- Things to do in Nanjing
- Things to do in Huangshan
- Things to do in Qingdao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Taipei
- Things to do in Jeonju
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Nagasaki Prefecture
- Things to do in Fukuoka Prefecture
- Fengjing Ancient Town
- Zhouzhuang Water Town
- Zhujiajiao Kezhi Garden
- Shanghai Chedun Film Park
- Shanghai Maglev Train (SMT)
- Jinjiang Action Park
- Shanghai Zoo (Shanghai Dongwu Yuan)
- Tianshan Tea City (Tianshan Cha Cheng)
- Huangpu River
- The Bund (Waitan)
- Shanghai Museum of Arts and Crafts
- Jing’an Temple
- Lupu Bridge