Kranji War Memorial Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Built in 1946 following the conclusion of World War II, Kranji War Memorial commemorates the SIngaporean and allied soldiers who fought and died protecting Malaysia and Singapore from invading Japanese forces. The site includes a cemetery with some 4,400 headstones and a memorial with names of 24,000 more servicemen.
Singapore was a key player in the Pacific Theater of World War II, and the Kranji War Memorial is one of the best spots in the city to learn more about this chapter in history. To get the most out of your visit, join a World War II-themed tour of Singapore, which typically combine the memorial with the exhibition on the Japanese occupation at the Changi Chapel Museum; the Johore Battery; and the Selarang Barracks.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Kranji War Memorial is a must-see for history buffs and those interested in Singapore’s role in WWII.
- Three flights of stairs make the memorial inaccessible to wheelchairs, though assistance is available with advanced notice.
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
How to Get There
The memorial sits on a hillside about 14 miles (22 km) outside of the city center. To get there by public transport, take the MRT to the Kranji Station—a 10-minute walk from the memorial. Don’t assume taxis know where it is.
When to Get There
The memorial is open daily from early morning until early morning. Each year on November 11, a Remembrance Day service is held as a tribute to lives lost.
Kranji Military Cemetery
Before or after your visit to the memorial, take a few minutes to visit the neighboring Kranji Military Cemetery. Many non-World War II veterans are interred here, as well as Singapore’s first and second presidents.
5 Tours and Activities to Experience Kranji War Memorial
Visit the Changi Chapel Museum temporary exhibition and learn about the Japanese Occupation of Singapore in World War II during this historical tour. With an experienced guide who provides insightful commentary about this somber period of history, learn about the prisoner-of-war camps that once stood here. See landmarks like the Johore Battery and Selarang Barracks, take in the views from the Changi Boardwalk, and visit Changi village.
History buffs can enjoy spending 6 hours touring Singapore's significant World War II historical sites. On this private tour, you'll learn about the country's role in WWII, stopping at various museums and monuments, where local guided tours are available (admission at own expense). Hotel pickup and drop-off in a private vehicle included.
This is the tour for war history buffs as we bring you to key spots that are rich in World War II history. Singapore was a major British military base and was also referred to as “Gibraltar of the East”. Find out how the defence strategy failed, and recount the days of the Japanese Occupation of Singapore. You will commence the experience at the Kranji War Memorial which honours fallen Commonwealth war veterans who died in battle during World War II. After which, you will proceed to Changi area to visit Changi Prison Wall, Changi Chapel temporary exhibit (Actual chapel is undergoing renovation) and Changi Beach Park. We will also drive past Selarang Barracks, Changi Air Base, Johor Battery.
Visitors enamored with Singapore’s green urban spaces and burgeoning food scene can often travel through the city without learning about its past. This private tour brings Singapore’s emotional World War II history to life. You’ll visit historical sites with a driver-guide to learn about the Fall of Singapore, when the Japanese Empire invaded the British stronghold. Visit underground bunkers, listen to war-time strategy stories, and stop at museums and monuments where guided tours are available. The tour includes lunch that recreates WW2 refugee meals.
• Turn back in time as you learn about Changi's wartime past in this half-day tour visiting World War II sites • Retrace the triumphs and tragedies with visits to the Changi Chapel and Museum Temporary Exhibition • Enjoy a sweeping view of the Straits of Johor from Changi Boardwalk and learn about Singapore’s defence strategy • Visit Johore Battery and witness a real-life WWII 15-inch gun replica • Drive past Selarang, Roberts and Kitchener Barracks, WWII internment camps for prisoners of war • Take in the solemn sights of Kranji War Cemetery
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Kranji War Memorial?
The best ways to experience Kranji War Memorial are:
- Changi WWII War Trail Coach Tour
- Private Tour: World War II Introduction on Singapore
- Battlefield Tour
- Private Tour: The Fall of Singapore WWII
Things to do near Singapore
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Thailand
- Things to do in Johor Bahru
- Things to do in Melaka
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Tanah Rata
- Things to do in Johor
- Things to do in Pahang
- Things to do in Perak
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast