With many restaurants temporarily closed, now’s the time to test your home cooking skills. A Singapore food tour company owner takes you on a journey through global cuisines with recipes for Thai coconut soup, Indian masala dosa, sabbath-inspired challah bread, and more. Join her in the kitchen.
Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market)
18 Raffles Quay Telok Ayer Festival Market
Locals and visitors come here for the food, which includes cuisines such as Chinese, Malay, Indian, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino, and Western. It’s easy to visit the market independently, but some Singapore sightseeing tours include a stop at the market, along with other popular attractions such as Thian Hock Keng Temple, Merlion Park, Chinatown, Little India, and Marina Bay.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Lau Pa Set is ideal for foodies and first-time visitors to Singapore.
- Bring cash, as not all vendors will take credit cards.
- Some vendors can be quite persistent when trying to attract customers.
- Boon Tat Street is closed to traffic in the evenings when the street market is set up.
How to Get There
The market is located at the intersection of Boon Tat Street and Robinson Road. Take the MRT to Raffles Place Station (exit I), then follow the long tunnel, which will take you to within a few blocks of Lau Pa Sat.
When to Get There
Lau Pa Sat Festival Market is 24 hours a day, though different vendors will have different opening hours. Its proximity to the central business district makes it a popular lunchtime option for office workers. The market is also popular in the evening, when satay vendors set up outside and a whole street market expands along adjacent Boon Tat Street.
Hawker Centers in Singapore
Hawker centers are extremely popular in Singapore, and offer a good variety of food at generally inexpensive prices. Besides Lau Pa Sat, other popular centers include Maxwell Road Hawker Centre, the Chinatown Complex Food Centre, Old Airport Road Food Centre, Chomp Chomp Food Centre, Tekka Centre, and Tiong Bahru Market.
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Indonesia
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in South Coast