Located on the left bank of the Singapore River, the Padang (Malay for field or open ground) represents the very essence of colonial Singapore. It was selected by the founder of modern Singapore, Sir Raffles, as a recreation area when he laid out the plans for the city and is surrounded by some striking colonial architecture.
A long stretch of flat green land, the Padang was the hub of colonial life, used primarily for sporting events and recreational activities. In 1834, the Europeans began hosting a New Year Regatta at the Padang, which soon expanded into an annual sports day.
Today the Padang is the site of the Singapore Cricket Club and the Singapore Recreation Club. It’s a place where the locals still gather to walk and socialise together and where sporting and social events take place. It has also become a key attraction for visitors to Singapore, who come to marvel at the grandiose colonial architecture in the area, including St. Andrew's Cathedral, City Hall, and the Supreme Court Building.
The Padang in Singapore is situated between St. Andrew Road and Connaught Drive. The nearest transport link is the City Hall MRT station, which is approximately a 4-minute walk away.