Established in 1852, the Singapore Cricket Club is one of the most prestigious sports and social clubs in Singapore. With its whitewashed walls, brown roof, and dark green blinds, the clubhouse harks back to Singapore’s colonial era – a time when only the stronghold of the European elite were able to dine here and watch sporting events take place on the Padang. It wasn’t until after World War II that the club’s membership expanded to include Asians and other nationalities.
The Singapore Cricket Club has had three buildings on the Padang. The first was built in the 1860s, the second in 1877 and the third in 1884. Today, the Singapore Cricket Club is accessible only to its members and their guests and offers facilities for a variety of different sports. The club’s interior is adorned with artwork and an assortment of memorabilia and its bars and restaurants offer some striking views out over the Padang and toward the city skyline.
The Singapore Cricket Club is located on the southwest end of the Padang in Singapore’s central business district. The nearest transport link is the City Hall MRT station.