National Museum of Lithuania, New Arsenal
Few institutions better capture Lithuanian history than the National Museum of Lithuania. This Vilnius institution is not just a single museum but a collection of museums offering exhibits about everything from archeology to art history. The New Arsenal houses the museum's main collection, focused on state history.
Visitors who want to learn about Lithuania's past shouldn't miss the New Arsenal. Learn about the country's history, from the 13th century to the present day; visit recreations of rooms from a historical Lithuanian home; and see a robust collection of folk costumes. To avoid ticket lines, pre-book admission online, and learn more as you explore with a free English audio guide. Make the most of your visit by also exploring other nearby cultural institutions, including the Old Arsenal and the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania.
Things to Know Before You Go
History enthusiasts shouldn't miss the New Arsenal.
Guided tours of the museum are available in English, but these must be arranged in advance.
For the best value, purchase a Vilnius Pass to enjoy free entry at the New Arsenal and several other cultural sights.
The ground floor of the museum is accessible for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The centrally-located New Arsenal of the National Museum of Lithuania is at Arsenalo g.1, in Vilnius. Because of its convenient location near the Vilnius Castle Complex, the museum is easy to reach via public transportation: Take a bus or trolleybus to the Karaliaus Mindaugo tiltas stop, and walk south to the museum.
When to Get There
The New Arsenal is open Tuesday through Sunday. Sundays are the busiest days at the museum. The museum is a good attraction to visit during poor weather as the exhibition spaces are all indoors.
Where to Experience Art and Culture in Vilnius
There are several other cultural institutions within steps of the New Arsenal. Archaeology enthusiasts shouldn't miss the Old Arsenal, which features relics from the region. The nearby Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania is also a worthy stop; you can learn about the country's regal past in this picturesque building and enjoy city views from its observation deck.
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- Gediminas Castle Tower (Gedimino Pilies Bokstas)
- Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (National Museum)
- Money Museum (Pinigu Muziejaus)
- Presidential Palace
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)
- Bernardine Church (Bernardinu Parapija)
- St. Anne's Church
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)
- Subacius Hill
- Gediminas Avenue (Gedimino Prospektas)
- Vilnil Museum of Illusions
- Museum of Occupations and Freedom Fights (Okupaciju ir Laisves Kovu Muziejus)
- Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (Vilniaus Gynybines Sienos Basteja)