Only occasional services are held at Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue now, but it was once a spiritual home for a sizable Sephardic Jewish community. Visiting the synagogue is the chance to learn about that community’s legacy as you explore the main sanctuary, browse historic photos, and see the Torah scrolls. Some tours of Yangon stop by the synagogue, and with a bit of luck or preplanning, the caretaker might be free to show you around.
Things to know before you go
- This is a great stop for history and culture buffs visiting Yangon.
- Men are asked to wear a yarmulke inside the synagogue; they’re available to borrow at the entrance.
- Opening hours vary from posted information so if your heart is set on touring the interior, call ahead.
How to get there
Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue is located on 26th Street, where it intersects with Maha Bandula. Ample taxis and public transport are available in the busy area; the closest bus stop is Thein Gyee Zay. Sule Pagoda is just a quarter of a mile (half a kilometer) away, making this a convenient place to visit after a trip to the Buddhist temple.
When to get there
While the exact schedule varies, Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue is open Monday through Saturday for just a few hours each day. To ensure a successful visit, call ahead. On some Jewish high holidays, services are held at the synagogue for the local congregation.
Religious Landmarks near Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue
Exploring the busy area surrounding the synagogue is a crash-course in Myanmar’s diverse cultural and spiritual heritage. A few blocks east of the synagogue is Surti Sunni Jamah Mosque, built by the Indian community in the 1860s. From there, continue to Mogul Shiah Jamay Mosque, one of Yangon’s few Shia landmarks. Make a final stop at Sule Pagoda, a gilded stupa that’s among the most beloved Buddhist sites in Yangon.
- Things to do in Chiang Mai
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Yangon Chinatown
- Sule Pagoda (Sule Paya)
- Bogyoke Aung San Market
- Yangon City Hall
- The Strand Yangon
- Yangon Circular Train (Circle Line)
- Yangon Central Railway Station
- Shwedagon Pagoda
- Kandawgyi Nature Park
- Karaweik Palace
- Little India
- Bogyoke Aung San Museum
- Chaukhtatgyi Paya (Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple)
- Taukkyan War Cemetery