Yangon City Hall
Designed by prominent Burmese architect U Tin, Yangon City Hall was completed in 1936. A well-balanced blend of western and local architectural styles, the elegant white building features a classic colonial build combined with traditional Burmese tiered roofs and intricately ornamented pillars and arches. It’s listed on the Yangon City Heritage List.
Most Yangon city sightseeing tours include a stop here, along with nearby attractions such as Sule Pagoda, the High Court, and Independence Monument and Park. For a more personalized experience, book a private or small-group tour. Add on a trishaw ride for a taste of local life.
Recent reviews from experiences in Yangon
Things to know before you go
- Yangon City Hall is a must-see for history and architecture fans.
- The Maha Bandula Park offers the best views of Yangon City Hall.
- Only those with official business can go inside the building.
How to get there
Yangon City Hall is located at the very center of Yangon, next to Sule Pagoda and across from Maha Bandula Park. For those not visiting as part of a sightseeing tour, Vandoola Park Bus Terminal and Sule Station are both located nearby.
When to get there
Only those on official business can actually enter Yangon City Hall. It can be viewed from the outside at any time. Yangon City Hall is also a popular spot for political and other demonstrations, which can affect access to and from the area.
Landmarks Near Yangon City Hall
Yangon City Hall is within walking distance of several popular landmarks in downtown Yangon, including Sule Pagoda, Maha Bandula Park, the High Court, the Main Post Office, the Independence Monument and Park, and the Immanuel Baptist Church.
- Things to do in Chiang Mai
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Sule Pagoda (Sule Paya)
- The Strand Yangon
- Yangon Circular Train (Circle Line)
- Yangon Central Railway Station
- Bogyoke Aung San Market
- Musmeah Yeshua Synagogue
- Yangon Chinatown
- Kandawgyi Nature Park
- Karaweik Palace
- Shwedagon Pagoda
- Little India
- Bogyoke Aung San Museum
- Chaukhtatgyi Paya (Chaukhtatgyi Buddha Temple)
- Taukkyan War Cemetery