A popular destination for fishermen, Chokoloskee Bay’s bountiful waters teem with a variety of saltwater fish, including grouper, flounder, and red fish. You can book a chartered fishing trip or eco tour of the bay. If you feel like a bit of exercise, consider kayaking your way through the mangroves.
For even more adventure check out Chokoloskee Island, which is connected to the state’s peninsula by a causeway from Everglade City. While there visit Smallwood Store, a historic general store that highlights the island’s sometimes-contentious history.
Things to know before you go
- There are a few accommodation options, as well as campgrounds, if you are planning an overnight stay along Chokoloskee Bay.
- There is a small entrance fee to access Smallwood Store.
- Touted as the last great frontier, Chokoloskee Bay and Island offer great opportunities for viewing wildlife, including dolphins, spoonbills, and other wading birds.
- You can easily charter a boat ride to the Ten Thousand Islands from Chokoloskee.
How to get there
Chokoloskee Bay is located south of Big Cypress National Preserve and is a few miles from Everglades City. It is best reached by car; access the island via the causeway connected to the mainland.
When to get there
Due to its subtropical climate, Chokoloskee stays warm all year (though the occasional cold front has been known). Many people prefer visiting during the area’s dry season (November through April) due to mild temperatures, low humidity, clear skies, and fewer mosquitoes.
Ten Thousand Islands
Covering more than 35,000 acres (14,164 hectares) of Florida’s southern tip, the archipelago is made up of hundreds of little islets, despite what its name might infer. Access any of the islands on a guided tour and get an up close and personal look at the local flora and fauna.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island