Chinatown is situated in downtown Montreal, its boundaries marked by four traditional Chinese gateways. Explore the neighborhood on foot, either independently or as part of a guided walking tour of Ville-Marie (the wider downtown area). Chinatown is also seen on some bike tours of Montreal and on food tours of the city. Hop-on hop-off bus tours stop at the neighborhood as part of their city route.
Recent reviews from experiences in Montreal
Things to Know Before You Go
Montreal Chinatown is a must for foodies and shoppers.
Come hungry as Chinatown is home to lots of tasty, inexpensive restaurants, including some of the best dim sum and noodle spots in the city.
Chinatown is accessible to wheelchair users via the Place-d’Armes metro station (Orange Line), which is equipped with elevators.
How to Get There
Situated in downtown Montreal, Chinatown is located on and around Rue De La Gauchetière, Rue Saint-Urbain, and Saint-Laurent Boulevard, between René Lévesque Boulevard and Viger Avenue. The nearest metro stations are Place-d’Armes (Orange Line) and Saint-Laurent (Green Line).
When to Get There
Montreal Chinatown buzzes with people year-round. It’s best explored during summer, when the streets are warm enough for wandering, vendors set up on the sidewalks, and Place Falun Gong members demonstrate at Sun-Yat-Sen.
Chinese Celebrations in Montreal
Despite the movement of many Chinese residents to suburbs such as Brossard, Chinatown remains a hub for Chinese celebrations. The biggest celebration staged here is Chinese New Year, held in January or February. During the annual Mid-Autumn Festival, Chinatown bakeries sell traditional mooncakes, while in summer, Montreal’s Chinatown hosts a series of sidewalk sales.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica
- Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
- Montreal Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin)
- Montreal Underground City
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Grevin Museum (Musée Grévin Montréal)