Saint Paul Street (Rue Saint-Paul)
As a main thoroughfare in Montreal’s historic district, Saint Paul Street is a highlight on most Old Port walking tours, which also often include Place Jacques-Cartier, Notre-Dame Basilica, and the St. Lawrence riverfront. Private tours offer a more flexible alternative, allowing visitors to add a stroll or bite to eat on Saint Paul Street a customized itinerary.
Things to Know Before You Go
Saint Paul Street is a must for boutique shoppers and history buffs.
Don’t forget comfortable, flat walking shoes, as the best way to explore the neighborhood—which is partially paved with cobblestones—is on foot.
Street signs, including parking and traffic signs, are written in French.
Visit popular restaurants after the lunch rush to avoid notoriously long lines.
How to Get There
Saint Paul Street is located in the Old Port neighborhood and is easily accessible using Montreal’s public transit system. The nearest Metro stations are Square-Victoria and Place-d’Armes, or take bus 61 to McGill and Saint Paul, bus 55 to Notre Dame and Saint Sulpice, or bus 68 to Nazareth and William. A BIXI bike share docks is located on the corner of McGill Street and d’Youville Place.
When to Get There
As one of the Old Port’s main attractions, Saint Paul Street is busiest on weekends. Go on a weekday morning for a quieter stroll. From late May to mid September, Saint Paul Street is pedestrian-only between St. Laurent Street and Bonsecours Market.
Nowhere is Montreal’s European atmosphere more evident than at Place Jacques-Cartier, a public square flanked to the south by Saint Paul Street. With its cobblestone streets, artists and buskers, and outdoor eateries, Place Jacques-Cartier is a popular destination for visitors and locals alike. During the summer, the square is pedestrian-only.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Bonsecours Market (Marché Bonsecours)
- Montreal City Hall (Hotel de Ville de Montréal)
- Montreal Champ de Mars
- Notre-Dame Street (Rue Notre-Dame)
- Jacques-Cartier Square (Place Jacques-Cartier)
- Montreal Science Centre (Centre des Sciences de Montréal)
- Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal)
- Montreal Chinatown
- Old Montreal (Vieux-Montréal)
- Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)
- Lachine Canal (Canal de Lachine)
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)
- Montreal Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin)
- Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica