Spanning 15 square blocks, Saint-Roch is located on the city’s flat plain, beneath the steep streets of the Upper Town. The former industrial quarter, once the epicenter of Quebec City’s shipbuilding industry, has been the object of a widespread revitalization effort since the turn of the 21st century.
Especially popular with local young professionals and students, today’s Saint-Roch draws visitors with top eateries and inexpensive and cheerful cafés. Craft-beer tours and tastings are also popular. In summer, people gather at pretty Jardin Jean-Paul L’Allier, while the Espace Hypérion, an arts center housed in the former Church of Notre-Dame-de-Jacques-Cartier, hosts concerts and other shows. Hop-on-hop-off buses tour the area, making it easy to explore.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Saint-Roch area is largely wheelchair accessible.
The impressive Saint-Roch Church is a popular stop for visitors to the area.
Try some of Quebec’s many excellent craft beers at a neighborhood brewery.
How to Get There
The Saint-Roch neighborhood extends back from the St. Charles riverfront in downtown Quebec City. Visitors can access the area by car, taxi, or on a hop-on-hop-off tour bus. To reach Saint-Roch from the Upper Town, visitors can choose to walk down the many steps or take the Faubourg elevator between the two.
When to Get There
Home to many bars and restaurants, the Saint-Roch area is particularly lively during the evening hours. In the daytime, small local shops and gourmet groceries provide plenty of opportunities to browse.
Visit the Montmorency Falls
Just outside the city center, the Montmorency Falls will give you a breath of fresh air after a day exploring the city. Take a walk across the suspension bridge and down to the impressive chutes of water to view the cascade, which is higher than Niagara Falls.
- Quebec City Capital Observatory (Observatoire de la Capitale)
- Fortifications of Quebec National Historic Site
- Dufferin Terrace (Terrasse Dufferin)
- Quebec National Museum of Fine Arts (Musée National des Beaux-Arts)
- Plains of Abraham (Plaines d'Abraham)
- Citadel of Quebec (Citadelle de Quebec)
- Quebec City Old Port (Vieux-Port)
- Upper Town (Haute-Ville)
- Port of Quebec (Port de Québec)
- Artillery Park Heritage Site
- Museum of Francophone America (Musée de l'Amérique Francophone)
- Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
- Fort Museum (Musée du Fort)
- Old Quebec (Vieux-Québec)
- Quebec Lower Town (Basse-Ville)