- Hiking tour of the landscape of Howth
- Learn about the history, legends, and culture of the area
- Stop to rest and take photos at scenic viewpoints
- Explore coastal sea caves (tides permitting)
- Led by an expert trekking guide
Departure & Return
Meet at 11.00am at Bodega at Howth Market across the road from the train Station.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Climb the hill up and out of the town, past Howth Castle, then continue through the ancient woodland. As you travel over the rustic trails and paths, listen to your guide's narrative about the history of Howth, including its legends and fables.
Reach Aideen's Grave, the magical portal tomb that is said to be a gateway to the underworld. Walk through the unusual jungle, imported to Ireland from the former Siam by Lord Howth centuries ago. In the woodland of the southern peninsula, trek through heathers and heath of Shielmartin Hill toward a dramatic coastal cliff.
Stop for a rest at Red Rock Creek, then search out some coastal caves (tides permitted), where you can see some of the marine life that thrives below the waterline.
Climb up the well-known cliffside paths to the Baily Lighthouse and up to Howth Summit. Walk back down into town via the old tramlines, returning to the harbor.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operates in all weather conditions; please dress appropriately
- Comfortable and sturdy footwear is required
- Please note: Trails can be soft, even wet, and are generally not paved
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- OPERATED BY Shanes Howth Adventures
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "Comfortable walking boots are a must as you walk many miles over uneven ground." See review