- Day trip to the Samye Monastery from Lhasa
- Admire sights of the Yarlung Tsang as you travel
- Explore the 8th-century site, which was Tibet’s first Buddhist monastery
- Hear tales of King Trisong Detsen from your guide
- Learn about the sacred monastery’s architecture and Buddhist jewels
- Relax with a hassle-free hotel pickup and drop-off
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Pickup Point: Clients' Hotel in Lhasa downtown
See off point: Clients' Hotel in Lhasa downtown
What To Expect
Relax as you travel past Yarlung Tsang, aka the Brahmaputra River, and see the famous Sand Mountain. Gaze out the window at a high mountain meadow, and see the local wide-flowing rivers as you make your way to the Samye Monastery.
The first Buddhist monastery in Tibet, the Samye Monastery traces its foundations to the 8th century. Head inside as you hear how the important site is home to the three Buddhist jewels of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha — making it a must-visit site for locals and visitors alike.
Learn about the monastery’s architecture, which encompasses Indian, Tibetan, and Chinese styles, and hear how it was the first temple in the country to be built at the request of King Trisong Detsen. The layout of the sacred site was created according to the ideal universe detailed in Buddhist scriptures.
When your temple visit ends, return to your transport. Your day ends with a hotel drop-off.
Please note: A minimum of two people per booking is required.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Book at least 20 days in advance so tour operator may attain your Tibet Permit. Tibet Permit will be delivered to customers' delivery address / hotel address in one city of China. Please note your tour operator will contact you after the booking is confirmed.
- Travelers are required to provide photocopy of passports and China L visas at least 20 days prior to travel date.
- Notice: Customers' airport pick-up and drop-off in Lhasa need be arranged by tour supplier. If customers fly to Lhasa from Kathmandu, please do not apply for China L Visa in advance, because customers need apply for their Tibet Group Visa from China Embassy in Kathmandu via travel agency. Before that, they need ask for invitation letter from tour supplier. If customers fly or take a train to Lhasa from one city of China, they need apply for their China L Visa from China Embassy in their country.
- A valid passport and China L Visa used to apply for Tibet Permit are required on the travelling period
- A minimum of two people per booking is required
- Travelers who got a Tibet Travel Permit from another travel agency cannot book this day tour
- Travelers are required to book multiple day tours from the same suppliers if their plan includes multiple destinations in Tibet
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tibet Vista
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
See all safety measures taken by Day Trip: Tibet Samye Monastery.