Don’t worry—here are some similar options
Explore our promoted experiences
- 1-hour tour of Oxford Castle led by a costumed character guide
- Climb St. George’s Tower for stunning views of the city's skyline
- Discover the history behind the mound of the 11th-century castle
- Venture underground to the castle’s 900-year-old crypt, the only remains left of St. George’s Chapel
- See the Debtors’ Tower and prison's D-Wing, then explore the prison and larger site at your own leisure
- Choose your own tour time (tour runs every 20 minutes between 10am and 4:20pm)
- Tour is wheelchair accessible
Departure & Return
The entrance to the tour is to the left of the cafe. You will enter through the gift shop.
What To Expect
Travel back in time as your costumed guide tells of what it was like when their character was around. Walk up 30 feet (9 meters) of steps at St. George’s Tower. When you make it to the top, bust out your camera and snap some photos of Oxford's so-called dreaming spires.
Now it’s underground you go as you head down to the 900-year-old crypt, the only remains left of St. George’s Chapel. It’s said that St. George’s Chapel is where the education of Oxford started. Plus, some even believe this area is haunted by a ghost or two.
Feel the eerie aura when you explore the 18th-century Debtors’ Tower and prison’s D-Wing. Then, take a look at the castle mound before you set off to explore the prison and larger site at your own leisure.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Children under 5 years of age will not be permitted access to St George’s Tower due to health and safety regulations.
- Visitors unable to climb the tower may wait at the bottom with a guardian and watch our “Story of Oxford Castle” video. Once the tour group returns from the Tower, you are then able to rejoin your group as the tour continues. To find out more about this policy, click here to view our access information.
- Due to the historical nature of the building Prams & Pushchairs do not fit through our doors, so they need to be left in the reception area where they will be looked after from a member of our team.
- Payment must be made at the time of booking by credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, Switch or Delta).
- No dogs are allowed in the attraction, the mound, Castleyard Cafe or the gift shop except for guide dogs.
- Opening times may be subject to change; for up-to-date information on admission prices and opening times, please telephone our information line on +44(0)1865 260666
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- OPERATED BY Oxford Castle & Prison
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff