- Private 4-hour trip to Bethany on the River Jordan from the Dead Sea
- See where Jesus is believed to have been baptized, a site also known as El-Maghtas
- Tour the ancient ruins and baptism pools, and learn why the site is holy in Judaism and Islam
- Entrance fee and services of a local guide included
- Round-trip transportation by private, air-conditioned vehicle
- Upgrade to visit the ancient Iraq Al Amir caves and Qasr al-Abad palace
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
Please arrive 15 minutes before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Then, start your 4-hour trip, viewing Jordan’s desert mountains as you journey to your first stop: 'Bethany Beyond the Jordan' on the eastern bank of the River Jordan.
On arrival, enter the UNESCO-listed site for a tour with a local guide. Known in Arabic as El-Maghtas, the site is believed to have been where Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, and was recognized as such by the Vatican and a visit by Pope John Paul II in 2000.
Absorb the aura of spirituality at this Christian pilgrimage spot, and explore the crumbled ruins as your guide shares their history. See the relics of Roman and Byzantine churches, caves, and baptismal pools, and learn how it’s believed that John the Baptist lived and preached here.
Hear, too, how the site is important in Judaism and Islam, as well as Christianity. Many believe it was here that the Prophet Elijah — a key figure in all three religions — ascended to heaven.
Having explored the site, reconvene with your driver and return to the Dead Sea, where your tour finishes with a hotel drop-off.
Alternatively, if you’ve chosen to upgrade, continue to Iraq Al Amir, home to several cliff-cut caves, near the town of Wadi as-Seer. Drive through olive groves and pine trees, and stop to see the caves, believed to date to the Copper Age.
Take a detour to nearby Qasr al-Abad, a restored pre-Roman building dating from the 2nd or 3rd century BC. Admire the exterior, pillars, and animal carvings as you explore the age-old edifice, thought to have been a villa or minor palace.
Afterward, rejoin your driver and conclude with a Dead Sea hotel drop-off.
Please note: the Bethany in this trip should not be confused with Bethany in Jerusalem, where it's believed that Mary Magdalene lived and Lazarus rose from the dead.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- Airport Pick-up and Drop-off by request.
- Order of visits may change for day tours with more than one visit as long as all sites completed.
- Contact your local operator (phone number, emergency mobile number, or email address) a day before to reconfirm pick-up arrangements provided in your voucher.
- Clients are advised to bring hats, sun screen, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Tour activity is provided in English. For other languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German) by request.
- Mobile SIM cards including Wi-Fi are available with assistance of our team upon request and can be subject to a small additional charge approximately: 20 USD. (Prices subject to change by the communication company).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level.
- Most local tourist restaurants in Jordan do not serve alcohol, if you do not want a dry restaurant please contact us.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Zaid Tours and Travel
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff