Explore our promoted experiences
- Full-day High Mountain Passes Spectacular tour from Windermere
- Travel over the steepest mountain passes in England
- Fantastic views of Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike
Departure & Return
We meet passengers who select this option at Windermere Information, about 100 meters from the Windermere Railway Station.
We meet passengers who select this option at Bowness Bay Pier 3, next to the ticket office.
We meet travelers who select this option at the bus stop opposite the Ambleside Library.
We meet travelers who select this option at the ticket office in the Oxenholme Railway Station.
What To Expect
Ascend both the steep Wrynose and Hardknott Passes, and soak up the spectacular views of the remote fells as you trace the narrow, twisting roads through the peaks. Stop at the ruins of Hardknott Roman Fort at 1,000 feet (304 meters) up on the fells. Take the opportunity to walk around the crumbled, 2nd century complex, built by the Emperor Hadrian, and marvel at the awe-inspiring views to Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountains.
Afterward, continue to Wastwater, a beauty spot once voted as commanding ‘Britain’s favorite view.’ Drink in the panoramas that encompass Wastwater, England’s deepest lake, and the surroundinghigh screes and mountains, including epic Scafell Pike.
Then, relax on your return journey to Lake Windermere, passing beautiful Coniston Water and the Coniston fells before your tour ends back at the start point.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 5 years or older to travel on this tour
- Confirmation is received at the time of booking
- There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
- There are toilet stops on route
- Minimal walking is involved
- Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
- Seats cannot be reserved
- Each passenger must have their own seat
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY The Mountain Goat
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands